Monday, January 23, 2012

Laundry Detergent

For months I have been telling myself I am going to make laundry detergent.  Several people state it is a much more environmentally friendly and incredibly cost effective way to go.  I even have a recipe; book marked from a blog called the Simple Dollar.  I finally decided that today was the day.   The ingredients (which were surprisingly easy to find at the grocery store) are:
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax (supposedly this can be optional)
1 bar of soap (the cheap kind)
about 3 gallons of warm water

Next you take the bar of soap and break it into small pieces (I used a kitchen grater). Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and slowly add the soap to dissolve.  
Next, you put 3 gallons of warm water into a bucket, add the borax, washing soda and soap mixture.
Stir everything together, put a lid on it and let it sit for 24 hours. 
 The total cost of everything was $8.74 and I have enough to make at least two more batches.  At a cup per load, I should have 52 loads in that bucket.  You do the math on savings. 


Run for the day 3.2 miles

1 comment:

  1. Didn't even realize that you were blogging until I saw your hubby's latest post. So, a few questions for you (based on the reflections of last year): 1. What recipes do you use for the pasta & bread? Could you send 'em my way? 2. How effective is that laundry detergent?

    You're looking good, Cari. Guess all that northern livin' is doing you and the rest of the family good, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete