Saturday, May 22, 2010

Work in Progress

This is what our refrigerator currently looks like......Maybe I should explain.

On the left we have our jar of milk from the farm. We had to eat this entire jar of pickles in order to obtain a glass jar for the milk. Let's just say we are set for pickles for the year. The milk has been pasteurized, and little man will probably drink most of it. I have taken a temporary break from experimenting with cheese, yogurt and butter until school is out for the year. Although I do know what I am doing wrong with the yogurt: You actually have to pasteurize it because there can be bacteria in the raw stuff that can work against you, which is why it worked once but not the other times I tried it.

In the middle is feta I made from raw goats milk in a class I took this Tuesday. It was taught by the wife of one of the guys I coach with. They have a goat farm and vegetable CSA http://trilliumhillfarm.com/. I have heard all about the goats and farm during cross-country season and thought it would be a fun class. I met a lot of really neat people and learned a ton about making cheese. For those who have never made cheese, it is actually pretty easy and you can experiment a little with the flavor. For example, the container you see in our refrigerator, I used red wine vinegar for the brine instead of white and it has a much smoother flavor then your typical feta. It's pretty good if I do say so myself.

To the right is Andy's weekly bowl of bread dough. He makes it once a week and then comes back to it throughout the week for our daily dose of fresh bread. It is wonderful! And it makes the house smell great.

No comments:

Post a Comment