Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sleepy Hollow Mountain Race

One of my goals for the year is to run the New England USAT&F Mountain Race Series this summer.  Honestly I am doing it to bypass the lottery into Mt. Washington for next summer. To bypass the lottery and earn mountain goat status, I need to run at least 6 of 8 mountain races.  My first one was this weekend.

For starters Sleepy Hollow is the only race in the series I have actually run before.  At least for this one I went in knowing what I was getting myself into, and I brought a friend along.  The race is a 10K (6.2 Miles) trail race.  For every mile you go up, you come down another mile.  There are some pretty muddy sections of the course and it starts at noon (the hottest part of the day).  This is not a beginners race.
 Since Andy was a spectator for this one, he had no problem pointing out that my friend did not look happy when she passed him.  As we were standing at the finish line waiting for her to come in, he fully expected her to punch me at the finish for convincing her to do the race with me.  She did not, and happily pointed out that she was not one of the people she saw lose a shoe on the course (there were a lot of shoe-less people finishing the race), throwing up on the course, or the lady she passed who was crying.  She also resolved to beat me next year. 
Now on to the next 5 races!

No comments:

Post a Comment