Monday, June 22, 2015

Sustainable Life

Summer has started and I am already a little behind in my blogging.  When I was thinking about what sustainable act we were going to do this month; I realized the reason for the business this month was because we are already doing a lot.  

For starters, our duck population has exploded! Honestly, I have no idea how many ducks we have at the moment.  We had 4 ducks going into winter.  Those ducks had ducklings that we brought into the house or sold because it was so cold outside.  The ones we kept have since been moved to the chicken coop, because at the time we did not have any chickens.  Then more ducks hatched and were living in the house.  They have since been moved to the garage with the chickens who are waiting for their coop to be evacuated. Andy has been furiously expanding the duck coop, and then more ducks hatched this weekend.  We left those ones with mama duck and have lost two.  We almost lost a few more today when they got stuck in the pool and could not get back out, but they were brought into the house warmed up and returned to mama duck.  
Next we have the gardens.  Andy is taking over the main garden this year--he thinks he will do better then me, while I have planted things in pots and in my perennial garden.  The perennial garden was in need of a lot of mulch, and the berry bushes needed to be pruned.  

Lastly, I have spent the past few days cutting up strawberries.  It is strawberry season and Little Man helped me pick enough strawberries for strawberry wine (more on that later), miniature strawberry rhubarb pies - to be frozen for winter and to eat right now.  The chickens and bunnies have benefited greatly from this venture.
So sustainable.  Got that down this month and may just be in need of a long nap.  

No comments:

Post a Comment