Sunday, March 28, 2010

Village University

Throughout the next few weeks our local community center is doing a series of Sustainability workshops. A lot of information in a short amount of time and not enough time and information all in one. I skipped the first one because quite honestly I really could not care less about preservation of vegetables through fermentation (Kim chi for starters). But this week's was great and I hated that I had to leave early because I promised Andy I would come home at 4:30 to assume parenting duties.

This week I learned about fruit trees (we actually have an apple tree in front of our house I would love to see edible apples on), growing grapes (a hobby I would love to take up), beekeeping (the more I hear about this one, the more I am contemplating it) and planting and starting your own garden. To start off, I have to say every time I go to one of these I feel like I am already behind. For example, last summer we started a modest garden that did not fare well due to clay soil and our little rabbit friends that thought my garden was a salad bar. So, of course, this year we already have plans for a fence and are planning on adding peat moss, top soil and compost from the bin we have been working on since last summer. Today, three of the four speakers talked about needing to do soil testing before planting to balance out the soil and on top of that I found out that my peas, carrots and lettuce need to be planted in April (did I mention April begins next week?!). Also, while I have found a great place to buy fruit tress and bushes inexpensively, I may end up waiting until next summer to start my grapes because I came away feeling like there is a lot more too it then I had thought and may need to do some more research.

On the bright side of life, I got a lot of great information, came away recharged and ready to re-design my whole yard. Oh and did I mention some wonderful friends of ours are letting us use their brooder for our chickens! I am very excited about that one. Six weeks and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment